In the present era, most of the youngsters, unaware of the value of life, consider themselves, not as the crown of creation, but as a lower and inferior creature facing just the difficulties of life and injustice of capitalistic society. During corona pandemic (covid-19), I have met some people who seem helpless and consider themselves futile in the universe.
In fact, they have forgotten the value of life. This is the beauty of life that it is unpredictable and cannot be defined in one way. Under the same challenging situations, some are optimistic about the future of the universe while others are quite pessimistic and depressed.
A story showing value of life
In this context, there is an age old story teaching us the value of life. A disciple asks his mentor ‘‘Sir, what is the value of life? The mentor gives him a piece of diamond and says, ‘‘Go into the market and strive to check its price; but don’t sell it.’’
The disciple, first, goes to the banana seller and says ‘‘I want to sell this diamond. How much will you give me?’’ .The banana seller observes it and says, ‘‘I can give you five dozen bananas.’’ The disciple refuses to give diamond and goes to the goldsmith’s shop.
The same situation is repeated and the goldsmith agrees to pay fifteen lac rupees for that shining diamond. The disciple refuses and finally reaches the shop of a jeweler and when he sees that priceless diamond, he says, ‘‘I cannot pay the price of this invaluable diamond but if you really want to sell it, take my whole shop and give it to me. It is priceless.’’
The disciple is astonished at this statement but comes back to the mentor and shares the whole story by giving back that particular diamond and again asks the same question,
‘‘Sir, what is the value of life?’’
The teacher replies that some people sell their life in return of some bananas or material gains while others equalize it with some dollars. Only great people make it invaluable.
So, life is a special and unique gift of God and we must make it incalculable by helping, first of all, ourselves to grow into a refined personality and then using that potential to serve the universe.
Ways to add value of life
- Knowing that ups and downs are the parts of life and are complement to each other, not opposite. Like night is not contrary to day; it is essential for the completion of the circle. Thorough understanding of this phenomenon will add value of life.
- Power of reframing your harsh experiences will help you develop into a positive personality giving you a chance to update value of life.
- Attitude of gratitude does have the power to change the value of your life because it motivates you to see the things, you have.
- Be a super learner throughout your life because life does not stop teaching you; so, don’t stop learning from your life.
- Visualization is the power bestowed by nature to man but man mostly uses it for negativity. We should visualize positivity and optimism but we normally visualize dark pictures of life. So, change this approach and use this power of visualization for betterment of life.
Quotes describing value of life
1. “The value of life is not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them; a man may live long yet very little.” Michel de Montaigne
2. “People who add value to others do so intentionally. I say that because to add value, leaders must give of themselves and that rarely occurs by accident.” John C. Maxwell
3. “Enjoy your own life without comparing it with that of another.” Marquis de Condorcet
4. “It is of practical value to learn to like you. Since you must spend so much time with yourself you might as well get some satisfaction out of the relationship.” Norman Vincent Peale
5. “The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.” Albert Einstein
6. “Your ordinary acts of love and hope point to the extraordinary promise that every human life is of inestimable value.” Desmond Tutu
7. “The value of life is not in its duration, but in its donation. You are not important because of how long you live, you are important because of how effective you live.” Myles Munroe
8. “We’re so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it is all about.” Joseph Campbell
9. “If you truly believe in the value of life, you care about all of the weakest and most vulnerable members of society.” Joni Eareckson Tada
10. “The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.” Kalu Kalu
11. “Find people who share your values and you’ll conquer the world together.” John Ratzenberger
12. “The major value in life is not what you get. The major value in life is what you become.” Jim Rohn
14. I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value.” Hermann Hesse
15. “One thing I didn’t understand in life was that I had $100,000,000 in the bank and I couldn’t buy happiness. I had everything: mansions, yachts, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, but I was depressed. I didn’t know where I fitted in. But then I found family and friends and I learned the value of life.” Vanilla Ice
16. “To add value to others, one must first value others.” John C. Maxwell
17. “If you so choose, even the unexpected setbacks can bring new and positive possibilities. If you so choose, you can find value and fulfillment in every circumstance.” Ralph Marston
18.“It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement — that they seek power, success and wealth for themselves and admire them in others, and that they underestimate what is of true value in life.” Sigmund Freud
19. “Too many people today know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Ann Landers
20. “Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.” Scott Hamilton
21. “Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.” Mark Twain
22. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” Albert Einstein
23. “You must know that you are worth much to me whether you accomplish anything or not. Even if you are rejected in the world’s eyes, you are valuable to me.” Stormie Omartian #BestAdvice
24. “Sometimes walking away has nothing do with weakness, and everything to do with strength. We walk away not because we want others to realize our worth and value, but because we finally realize our own.” Robert Tew
25. “Principles are guidelines for human conduct that are proven to have enduring, permanent value.” Stephen Covey
26. “It takes a different value system if you wish to change the world.” Jacque Fresco
27. “What’s valuable to me has become clearer as I’ve got older. To me, it’s about the value of your time and your day and the value of the people you spend it with.” Brad Pitt
28. “You must look within for value, but must look beyond for perspective.” Denis Waitley
29. “It’s very important for people to know themselves and understand what their value system is, because if you don’t know what your value system is, then you don’t know what risks are worth taking and which ones are worth avoiding.” Benjamin Carson
30. “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” M. Scott Peck
In a nutshell
Life is a beautiful gift of nature and we ought to understand the importance of our life before the life ends. Most of the scholars and writers have also promoted this philosophy of life and we ought to apply it as much as is possible.